The Windows Client provides native access to OrangeFS for desktops and servers using the Microsoft Windows operating system.
The Windows Client harnesses the power and speed of OrangeFS from the Windows platform, including scale-out storage access and high performance parallel computing with full programmatic access via standard parallel programming APIs.
Options for authentication and user mapping include LDAP and X.509 certificates. The Client, which runs as a standard Windows service, supports Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (all editions) and Windows Server 2012 (all editions; Server Core installation not currently supported); x86 and x64.
This Client enables you to view files though Windows Explorer and the Command Prompt, or you can access files programmatically through standard function calls, for example, fopen() in C.
The following topics guide you through the installation, operation and configuration of the Windows Client:
- [Preparing for Installation]((/windows-client/preparing_for_installation_windows/)
- [What to Expect]((/windows-client/what_to_expect_windows/)
- [Running the Installer]((/windows-client/running_the_installation_program_windows/)
- [Manual Installation]((/windows-client/manual_installation_windows/)
- [Uninstalling the Windows Client]((/windows-client/uninstalling_the_client_windows/)
- [Using the Client]((/windows-client/winclient_use/)
- [Client Administration]((/windows-client/winclient_admin/)